My Barn Studio

My Barn Studio
Where the magic happens!

Monday, June 20, 2011

You win Some ,You lose Some

Well, it finally happened. I had a stained glass order not arrive intact. I guess I am lucky since I have had 114 sales todate and only 3 issues.  This last one that got there broken was one that had a bunch of glass sunrays sticking out. I had already had issues with that piece when a lady smashed her head on it when it was on display at the art center. I guess that peice was doomed from the start.

USPS has, overall, done a great job of getting stuff to customers without problems. I have learned that filing insurance if a peice does come broken is a long drawn out ordeal and maybe not worth my time and effort. I may be better off not paying for it in the first place and also only sell stuff on-line that is more likely to get there intact. They did manage to lose the contents in one flat rate box and I did have to send another item. Fortunatly it was not too expensive.

I did ship a tiffany lamp to Scotland via USPS by encasing the thing in spray foam, the kind you use for sealing cracks. The customer had to cut it out of the hardened foam, but it did arrive unbroken!!! I did not breathe until it got there.

So what have I learned out of all this. I have learned not to create stained glass peices with glass sticking out in thin peices that are just asking to get broken. I have learned to tape the ends of a flat rate box. I have also learned that you win some and you lose some. It is just how it goes in the online world.

2 comments:

  1. sorry about the breakage, but love your attitude!! also how terrific that the tiffany lamp arrived in Scotland safe & sound! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh just noticed that you are following my blog too, Thanks!! :)

    ReplyDelete